Friday, March 23, 2012

Called

So I know the Blog is itching to hear some daycare-work-related stories right? I have one that's worth it though, I promise. Yesterday, I had two children come up to me pointing at each other in that he-said-he-said way they do. The each told me that the other had called me a skank-ass. I swear to God, you should have seen my face. The only thing I could come up with to say was, "What did you just say?!" Then of course they repeated it. I did the teacher talk thing and said that we didn't use those words, we only use kind words blah blah blah. Then I went over to the other teacher and said, "You wouldn't believe what they just called me." I told her what they had said and she yelled, "What did my son just say?!" I'd forgotten but one of those boys was her kid, so I felt like I'd tattled on a staff kid to their mommy. Anyway, children aside, I wanted to show you the progress I've made with my projects. The kids have like a 3 hour nap, and right in the middle of that I get my break, so there's a lot of time for me to knit. Look how much I got done on DM's sock:
Of course, that's only the first sock but it's already 3/4 of the way through (they'll be anklets since DM won't appreciate the time spent making them longer anyway).
I also wanted to show you this photo, and tell you exactly how I fix my pictures so they don't look like crap. Well, at least I make them look better. Seriously all I do is open up Windows Live Photo Gallery and do the autofix. If it makes it look worse, I mess around with the contrast and shadows and all that to make it look better again, but I just wanted to show the Blog how easy it is to make a photo look 20 times better. I think this one came out a little too bright, but it shows off the yarn colors much better.

I also want to show a little progress photo of the Crochet Ripple Afghan that I'm making out of stashed yarn:
The bright white background shows off the off-white yarn really well. I've only really done maybe 6 rows more since the last time I posted, plus about 4 more that I ripped out because I decided to change the color pattern, but I like how it looks so far. I've resolved to work at least 2 rows a day every day so that NS can have the blanket in a timely fashion. Plus, since naptime is so long, I'll be able to do that and more. If I get bored with it, I can switch to a different project but still have reached my goal of 2 rows daily.
DS's sock hasn't grown more than about 2 rows so I don't have a picture, but I'm ready to start the heel, which is a flap and gusset. That, I can manage. I'm not so sure about the short row heels, but I think I'll give them a try again sometime soon. 
So last post I said I'd do a list of all of my recent reads, and maybe a monthly goals thing. Here's my book list:
Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones (still reading)
The Limit by Kristen Landon
Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (audiobook)
Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (audiobook re-read)
Percy Jackson The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan (audiobook re-read)
Percy Jackson The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (audiobook re-read)
Percy Jackson The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (audiobook re-read)
On my desk now waiting to be read are:
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies
Out of the Shadows by Sarah Singleton
And on Overdrive on my computer is The Maze Runner by James Dashner (audiobook).
This list is quite short compared to the last one, but part of the reason for that is that it was about 4 months worth of books last time, whereas it's only been a little over a month this time. I really love the Overdrive thing where you download audiobooks from the library off the internet and they're automatically returned when you're done, but I think it killed my iPod. I tried to transfer one of the books to my iPod and it died. When I drove it to the Apple store near the house I was supposed to move into, the Genius guy fixed it but about 2 days after that I tried to transfer audiobooks again and it died again. I really didn't realize that was the problem until the second try. The most annoying thing about this process though is that the nearest Apple Store is an hour and a half away and the round trip eats up a half tank of gas that I can't afford. Ugh.

So I guess for my monthly goals I'll do a list also:
2 rows daily on NS's afghan
1 and 1/2 socks done by month's end
Reduce stash by at least 300 yards of worsted weight by month's end
2 books read by month's end
Homework done by the night before the day it's due every time from now on
Blog update at least once a week (notice I've been doing them almost every day lately though, so that shouldn't be a problem)

Anyway, since my homework didn't take long today I don't have anything to do now. I think I'll use my stolen time to read a book and maybe get a few rows of that afghan done (I haven't reached my 2 row daily goal yet, so I've gotta do that).

No comments:

Post a Comment