Friday, August 5, 2011

Of Reading And Crafts

Right now, I'm reading Lies by Michael Grant and re-reading the Inheritance series on audiobook. That's one of those strange things about me that my family doesn't understand: I like to re-read my favorite books, and to that end, I came up with a way to do just that without having to carry them all with me, and in some cases, without ever having to buy them. I visit my local library, of which I am extremely fond, and borrow the audiobook of my favorite books. Then I download the discs to my computer and add them to my growing audiobook library on my iPod. Anyway, it's been a while since I've read any of Christopher Paolini's books, but while listening to Eragon, I came across a chapter name I liked: Of Reading and Plots. 

At the moment, I'm also working on downloading all of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged on audiobook to my computer, but it's a seemingly endless task. I also keep meaning to read The Clan of the Cave Bear, which I borrowed from a friend about a week ago, but the other things I've been reading keep drawing me in. On top of that, my mom had gotten me into comic books, and I have the compilation of The Walking Dead sitting there on my bedside table along with the others. 

In terms of crafts, I've been knitting a pair of legwarmers for my extremely ungrateful brat of a sister. She's planning an 80's party and she wanted some brightly colored legwarmers to complete her ensemble, though why she wants me to make her something she'll likely only wear once is beyond me. I get the extra yarn though, so I dont mind. It'll be great for my stash :) I'll post a photo at the end if I can figure out how. Also, I just finished a pair of wristwarmers for myself, which should be helpful for cold classrooms once term begins. The funny thing about this situation is that I live in the tropics, so the temperature rarely, if ever goes below 60 degrees Fahrenheit, though last winter it did get cold enough to snow. Of course it didn't, because that would have made my year and no one wants that. Just kidding. Anyway, things like legwarmers and wristwarmers would usually be considered unnecessary, especially at the height of tropic summer. Then again, knitting rarely produces clothing and objects that are useful in the heat. It does seem to me, though, that in order to compensate, all of the buildings in my city are cooled to freezing temperatures. So when my family questions why I would make such items, I usually respond that I'm always cold anyway, so they'll definitely come in use.

Though knitting is my main craft, I also dabble in sewing, crochet and other random things too. Recently, I started embroidering the cloth that I wrap my tarot cards in. Tarot cards are meant to be kept in a special place and protected by cloth that should supposedly have your own energy in it. Though I don't believe in such things, it sounded like a fun project. I've so far decorated it with some words, some symbols from books I've read, and a few runes whose meanings I looked up. I also tried weaving my own basket out of newspaper, but so far, that hasn't gone anywhere because of the vast amounts of time spent folding newspaper, which isn't fun. For some reason, I have endless patience for annoying people and situations, and I can spend hours reading or knitting, but I have no tolerance for folding paper. Go figure. 

In my personal life, I've just begun job hunting, which is doubly difficult because I've never had a job before. Many of the places I've applied to won't take me because they want me to have experience. On top of that, there's also a great many places which require me to apply online. My issues with this are pretty obvious: I worry that the application won't get to where it needs to be, or that no one ever actually reads them, or that my great and shining personality (ha, ha) won't show up on the drab and boring document. I usually try to have a conversation with a worker or manager while I'm asking about a job, and if they don't utter the hated words, "The application's online," or even worse, "We're not hiring but you can always fill out an application online," I usually try to fill out the application there and hand it back promptly. I try to think that this shows I'm a motivated person and would be a motivated worker. Either way, it's a pretty hopeless venture. 

Aside from job hunting, I visit the library almost every day on some errand, and I'm trying to be a bit more active. I used to like to rollerblade, so I'm trying to get back out and do my usual circuit at least 3 times a week. I hate the feeling that I've become lazy and boring. Now for pictures:




The first two pictures are the purple-and-pink-Dr.-Seuss-esque legwarmers for my sister. The last two pictures are of my wristwarmers. The colors are a bit off. They're a bit brighter green than the picture shows. I'm excited to finish my sister's legwarmers so I can move on to something a bit more adventurous :) 

*Edit* I forgot to mention that neither of these knitted items were of my design. They were both free patterns posted on the internet. The first comes from a site called the purl bee, and the link for the pattern is http://www.purlbee.com/spiral-rib-leg-warmers/  The second was posted on a blog, and the link for the pattern is http://sassycupcake.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/foliage-lace-mitts/

No comments:

Post a Comment